The Winter Gardens is a Grade II* listed building in Morecambe, Lancashire. Designed by architects Mangnall and Littlewood, with Frank Matcham as a consulting architect, it was originally built as the Victoria Pavilion Theatre in 1897 and was an extension to the existing Winter Gardens complex, which has since been demolished.
The theatre closed to the public in 1977 and was listed the same year. It is considered to be one of Morecambe’s most significant features, and a campaign for its restoration has been ongoing since 1986.
The Victoria Pavilion Theatre was built in 1897 as part of an existing complex. Dating from 1878, the original complex included seawater baths, bars and a ballroom.
In the 1950s, the Winter Gardens were taken over by Moss Empires, however declining profits in the following decades led to its closure in 1977. Although the theatre building that remains today was listed the same year, the ballroom building was demolished in 1982.