Staffordshire County Lunatic Asylum was built in 1818 to house 120 pauper lunatics, it was designed by the Stafford County surveyor Joseph Potter in the style of a Georgian mansion.
It was extended in 1879 and a further extension was added in 1884, this included a bakery and workshops, by now the asylum could house up to 870 patients. Further extensions included a laundry block (now demolished) and nurses accommodation.
It was taken over by the NHS in 1948 at which point the name changed to St Georges Hospital.
It closed in 1995, a victim of the care in the community act and since then it has lay empty and suffered badly from vandalism and arson.