Lincolnshire County Asylum, Bracebridge Heath, was opened 9.8.1852.
The land for it was purchased in 1846. It had 300 patients in 1858 and was enlarged in 1859, 1866, 1881, 1902, 1917 and 1928. It was built in the “Italian style”.
Architects: Hamilton and Thomas Percy
The Asylum (St John’s Mental Hospital) closed down in 1990 and was sold a few years later to a property developer who has constructed nearly 1,000 new houses in the village. The original hospital buildings themselves are classified as Grade III listed buildings and are protected from demolition. During the redevelopment of the hospital site, a number of these protected buildings were refurbished and converted into flats and offices.