The old hospital began life, in part as Haslingden Workhouse, in the late 1860s and an infirmary was only established on site in 1912. This was known as Moorlands Infirmary before the name change to Rossendale General Hospital after the Second World War. It finally closed its door in 2010.

The hospital has now been demolished and a new housing estate is quickly replacing it.