Documenting dereliction and decay

Moorcock Inn, Lancashire, June 2014

The Moorcock Inn Hotel and Restaurant, which is privately owned, has closed and re-opened a number of times under different management. In 1975 it was put into liquidation after losses of £97,500 were revealed. Later that year, the building was […]

Read More

Naylor Jennings, Yeadon, April 2014

The original mill was built in 1868 on land which was purchased from Rawdon Baptist Church. A clothier who lived in Little London, Thomas Pratt, was the owner of the site. Cloth was produced here until a terrible fire in […]

Read More

Derby Royal Infirmary, Derby, April 2014

Derbyshire Royal Infirmary (DRI) was established in 1810 on land formerly part of Derby’s Castlefield estate on land near what is now Bradshaw Way and the A6 London Road. It was known as the Derbyshire General Infirmary at the time. […]

Read More

Greenbank Synagogue, Liverpool, March 2014

Built in 1937 The art-deco building is the work of the notable Liverpool architect Sir Ernest Alfred Shennan. Most of his other work is also in Merseyside and comprises a diversity of building types. His inter-war designs included Westminster Banks; […]

Read More

Harastølen (The Overlook) Sanatorium, Norway, January 2014

On a hillside somewhere in Norway, overlooking a beautiful fjord, lays this abandoned building. A majestic sanatorium built to heal and cure people with tuberculosis. The air and climate in the area was supposedly good for the patients. Together with […]

Read More

Reins Mill, Huddersfield, November 2013

Built in 1847, Reins Mill was occupied by Charles Dean in 1866 operating as a Fancy Woollen Manufacturer. A year later, Dean started a partnership with John Hey that would last until Hey’s retirement in 1883. By 1889, Joseph Dean, […]

Read More

Rossendale Hospital, Rossendale, October 2013

The old hospital began life, in part as Haslingden Workhouse, in the late 1860s and an infirmary was only established on site in 1912. This was known as Moorlands Infirmary before the name change to Rossendale General Hospital after the […]

Read More

Aston Hall Hospital, Derbyshire, August 2013

The hospital derives its name from the Aston Hall estate, which was purchased by Nottingham Corporation in 1924, although there was reportedly a military hospital in the area during the First World War, and possibly even earlier. The existing hospital […]

Read More

North Wales Hospital, Denbigh, August 2013

With the Lunatic Act passed in 1808 every county in the country was to provide an institute for the mentally ill, but by 1840 North Wales was still without such an institution because the poor rural communities could not afford […]

Read More
error: Content is protected !!