UrbanDegeneration

Documenting dereliction and decay

Williamsons Fire and Rescue Equipment Oldham, May 2015

Williamsons has been trading at mumps in oldham at the same premises since the 1920’s a family run business specialising in fire fighting equipment and later refurbished conveyor systems. The business closed in 2011, some say this was due to […]

Read More

Burnley Empire Theatre, Burnley, May 2015

Originally called the Empire Theatre of Varieties, this theatre opened in Burnley in 1894 with capacity to seat 1935 people. Funded by the Directors of the Victoria Opera House Limited. In 1995 the building became abandoned and has rapidly deteriorated […]

Read More

Canon Brewery, Sheffield, March 2015

Stones Brewery (William Stones Ltd) was a regional brewery founded in 1868 by William Stones in Sheffield, West Riding of Yorkshire, and purchased by the Bass Brewery in 1968. After its closure in 1999 its major brand, Stones Bitter, has […]

Read More

The Hartinginton Cheese Factory, Derbyshire, March 2015

In the 1870’s the Duke of Devonshire founded the Dove Creamery in Hartington (later to be come known as The Hartinginton Cheese Factory) which produced a white crumbly Derbyshire cheese until 1894, when a fire partially destroyed the building. It […]

Read More

Sanofi Aventis Pharmaceuticals, Holmes Chapel, December 2014

Sanofi’s operations in the UK are aligned with the priorities of the NHS, and have for over 40 years been integral to our global success. Although the global headquarters are in Paris, in the UK they employ over 2,000 across […]

Read More

Accrington Conservative Club, Lancashire, September 2014

The UK’s largest Conservative Club, built in 1890 with a Grand Ballroom that once held 1000 guests. The club was designed by WJ Morley and G Woodhouse, with the funds provided by John Bullough. Bullough was a millionaire through his […]

Read More

Crich Quarry Derbyshire – July 2014

Geologically, Crich lies on a small inlier of Carboniferous limestone (an outcrop on the edge of the Peak District surrounded by younger Upper Carboniferous rocks). Quarrying for limestone probably began in Roman times. In 1791 Benjamin Outram and Samuel Beresford […]

Read More

Tygaflor, Rock nook mill, Summit, Rochdale, June 2014

Two business men Forthergill and Harvey in 1910, made it a cotton yarn and cloth manufacturer. In 1987 the business was bought by Courtaulds, which make fabics and chemicals and then was bought by Tygaflor Ltd, who producer lino flooring, […]

Read More

Blackburn Royal Infirmary, Blackburn, June 2014

The Infirmary officially opened its doors in 1864 with a patient capacity of 32 beds and staff to deal with a total of 516 admissions and out patients. Over the next 10 years the number of patients being cared for […]

Read More
error: Content is protected !!