UrbanDegeneration

Documenting dereliction and decay

St John’s Aslyum, Lincoln, December 2010

Lincolnshire County Asylum, Bracebridge Heath, was opened 9.8.1852. The land for it was purchased in 1846. It had 300 patients in 1858 and was enlarged in 1859, 1866, 1881, 1902, 1917 and 1928. It was built in the “Italian style”. […]

Read More

Chisworth Works (E.P Bray & Co), Glossop, December 2010

Chisworth Works was built at the end of the 18th or in the early 19th centuries as a cotton band manufactory and initially called Higher Mill. There are large round-arched doorways surrounded by large ashlar blocks in the north-east elevation. […]

Read More

Hartshead Power Station, Heyrod, December 2010

Hartshead Power Station was a coal-fired power station situated at Heyrod, Greater Manchester. Preparations for a power station at Heyrod began in 1916 when 26 acres (110,000 m2) of land were purchased. The station was opened in 1926 by the […]

Read More

North Wales Hospital, Denbigh, December 2010

With the Lunatic Act passed in 1808 every county in the country was to provide an institute for the mentally ill, but by 1840 North Wales was still without such an institution because the poor rural communities could not afford […]

Read More

Buckton Vale Quary, Carrbrook, December 2010

“The quarry was involved in Gritstone and Sandstone extraction / processing. It sits below Buckton Castle (Which is a scheduled ancient monument).” The only other info is the site is currently mothballed, looking at the state of the plant and […]

Read More

ABM Pauls Maltings, Lincolnshire, November 2010

The old maltings, built around 1870 and destroyed by German bombs in 1940, had stood opposite a pea canning factory which after it burned down was replaced by the now empty Linpac factory. Re-building began in 1949, the site was […]

Read More

RAF Stenigot, Lincoln, November 2010

RAF Stenigot was a World War 2 radar station situated near Donington on Bain, Lincolnshire, England. It was part of the Chain Home radar network, intended to provide long range early warning for raids from Luftflotte V and the northern […]

Read More

Brecon and Radnor joint Aslyum (Mid Wales Hospital), Talgarth, Wales, November 2010

The Mid Wales Hospital was a psychiatric hospital in Talgarth, Wales. It opened in 1906 and was formerly known as the Brecon and Radnor Joint Asylum or Mid Wales Counties Mental Hospital. It is in echelon style (narrow arrow)and at […]

Read More

West Derby Comprehensive School – Bankfield Wing, Liverpool, November 2010

West Derby School is a comprehensive school based in Liverpool, England, and as a community school is run by the local education authority. The post-war ‘baby-boom’ resulted in a much higher number of teenage children in the 1950s. Liverpool Corporation […]

Read More
error: Content is protected !!