UrbanDegeneration

Home / Reports

St Thomas’ Hospital, Stockport, October 2010

The hospital, in Shaw Heath, has treated thousands of older people and psychiatric patients on the NHS and was first a workhouse, opening its doors on Christmas Day 1841. But it has fallen into disrepair and there are now plans […]

Read More

Dodge Hill Deep shelter, Stockport, October 2010

Dodgehill, one of 3 deep level shelters which form a vast network of abandoned tunnels beneath the streets of Stockport, which is located 6 miles outside South Manchester. These deep tunnels were used as air-raid shelters during the war and […]

Read More

Barnes Convalescent Home, Cheadle, October 2010

A donation of £26,000 for the founding of a new convalescent hospital in Cheadle was made in 1869 by Robert Barnes. Construction of the hospital, named the Barnes Convalescent Home, started in 1871 and was completed in 1875. It was […]

Read More

RAF Croft, Warrington, September 2010

The base was used by the RAF from 1941 up until the mid 50s when it became tenanted by the USAF as a processing station for Burtonwood airbase (the largest USAF base in the country until it closed), Airmen could […]

Read More

St Joseph’s Orphanage, Preston, July 2010

Hewitson’s ‘A History of Preston’ Down one of the side streets of Preston, there is a charitable institution called St. Joseph’s Orphanage. It was built and partially endowed by a local Catholic lady – the lake Mrs. Maria Holland – […]

Read More

Whittingham Mental Hospital,Preston, June 2010

Whittingham Hospital, whose grounds adjoin the village of Goosnargh, grew to be the largest mental hospital in the country, and pioneered the use of electroencephalograms (EEGs). During its time it had its own church, farms, railway, telephone exchange, post office, […]

Read More

St Joseph’s Seminary, Upholland, June 2010

St Joseph’s College was founded in 1880 by Bishop Bernard O’Reilly to be the Seminary serving the North West of England. The college was formally opened in 1883. The first Junior Seminary of the Diocese was founded at St Edward’s […]

Read More

Dingle Railway Station, Dingle, Liverpool, May 2010

Dingle railway station was an underground station located on the Liverpool Overhead Railway (LOR), at the south end of Park Road, Dingle, Liverpool. It was the only below ground station on the line. Trains accessed the station via a half […]

Read More

Brymbo Steel Works, Brymbo, North Wales, May 2010

The works was founded by John ‘Iron Mad’ Wilkinson who built a blast furnace on the site in 1793, just after he bought Brymbo Hall. The reasons for his move from the nearby Bersham Ironworks are thought to be on […]

Read More
error: Content is protected !!