UrbanDegeneration

Home / Industrial

Mitchell’s (Yates & Jacksons) of Lancaster, July 2013

This is a former yates and jackson brewery which mitchells occupied after Y&T ceased brewing. on the gate on brewery lane is Mitchell’s of Lancaster Brewery Est 1865. However the precise date of the building as a malt house cannot […]

Read More

Dalton Pumping Station, County Durham, May 2013

Designed by Thomas Hawksley with the build starting in 1873, The first engine was fired up in 1878. The engines are a pair of 72” single acting Cornish non-rotative beam engines, manufactured by Davy Brothers Limited, of Sheffield with an […]

Read More

Hartford Mill, Oldham (Revisit), February 2013

Hartford Mill was built 1907 by the Hartford Mill (Oldham)Co Ltd. It was extended 1920 and 1924 and closed 1959 In later years it was used by Littlewoods as a mail order warehouse until 1992. The mill’s Architect was F […]

Read More

Turner Brothers Asbestos, Rochdale, February 2013

Turner Brothers Asbestos was one of Greater Manchester’s oldest firms and was forced to leave its hometown after more than 100 years. TBA Textiles Ltd has been based at the Turner and Newall factory in Rochdale since 1875But the developer […]

Read More

Allen Brickworks, Hipperholme, December 2012

Glazed brick manufacturers established by Henry Victor Allen when he took over the Halifax Glazed Brick Works in the Walterclough valley. He converted the works to manufacture refractory bricks. Their Selfrac refractory bricks were world famous. The bricks were carried […]

Read More

Woolens for Signs, Sheffield, November 2012

Woollen & Co Ltd was established in Sheffield in 1883 by Edwin James Woollen, a signwriter and Frederick Ibbotson, a lithographic printer. By 1897 Woollens had become a limited company and was based at 35 Carver Street in Sheffield. At […]

Read More

Cellars Clough Mills, Marsden, October 2012

The woollen mill was owned by Samuel Firth of Gatehead in Marsden, and opened in 1888. He also owned Holme Mill. By the 60s, it was owned and run by Fisher, Firth & Co. which became Cellars Clough Woollen Mills […]

Read More

Langley Mill, Macclesfield, September 2012

Langley Mill, founded by William Smith in 1826, became the biggest silk printing, dyeing and finishing works in the world.  Langley Mill later went on to become Specialised Automobile Services, a specialist wire wheel manufacturer for classic and modern cars.

Read More

TG Greens Pottery, Derbyshire, September 2012

The factory as it is today began life in 1864 when Thomas Goodwin Green was, rather suprisingly, on his honeymoon in Scarborough. He met a Mr Henry Wileman who owned a small pottery in Church Gresley, near Swadlincote, that had […]

Read More
error: Content is protected !!