The UK’s largest Conservative Club, built in 1890 with a Grand Ballroom that once held 1000 guests.
The club was designed by WJ Morley and G Woodhouse, with the funds provided by John Bullough. Bullough was a millionaire through his partnership with a Mr Howard, and owned the massive Globe Works, a huge textile machinery factory in Accrington.
In the 1990’s the Con Club was converted into a nightclub called Churchills that closed in 2003 due to a customer being killed in a fight outside. Since 2003 the club has had a long and painful history, having owners buying, neglecting and being taken to court over the condition of the Grade II listed building, with plans for different renovation schemes and conversions falling through more than once.